Tuesday, November 30, 2004

The One About Civil Unions

Well, I suppose I had better put up some sort of commentary about the Civil Union Bill currently due to be voted by parliament.

The thing is though, I'm not really for or against the bill, beliving that there are more important fights to be had over the next few month, such as the level of child poverty, school funding, and a free trade agreement with China that threatens our jobs. Not some fancy-pancy bit of social legislation, which all in all, is merely going to just enable people to put their defacto (homo or hetero) partner down as their next of kin, and so, I just perch uncomfortably on the fence, and watch the fundies slog it out...

In saying that though, I dont think there is anything romantic about getting down on one knee and asking "babe, will you enter a civil union with me?", and I think a bigger threat to the concept and institution to marriage than the gay community is the fact that so many people are getting married for the wrong reasons, whether it be "for the sake of the kids", where there's money involved, i.e. for student allowances, permanent residency, etc, or simply for security, or to settle. I don't see the Brian Tamaki's in this world rally against the numbers of Asian women flooding into the nation and marrying men purely to be able to stay in the country, or the people who see marriage as "just a piece of paper".

Marriage is a symbol of a couples love and committment to one another, and I belive that that is the underlying value of taking those vows, and I belive that couples should marry out of committment and love for one another, not to stay in the country, get a student allowance, or to get half their stuff..

Anyway, it's D-day on Thursday...the vote will be taken, and after then, Ill sit back and see if civilisation does collapse.

Chances are, it wont...

7 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger jiri said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going.

This may be of interest to you I have a free online dating service. It pretty much covers dating stuff.

I'll be sure to come back.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey I just love your blog. I also have a jewish dating
blog/site. I mostly deals with jewish dating
Please come and check it out if you get the time!

 
At 1:55 AM, Anonymous dating book said...

I was out searching for dating guide related information, when I landed on your page. Brendon you have some good stuff there. While The One About Civil Unions wasn't exactly what I was looking for I enjoyed the read Thanks. So I'll continue on looking for dating guide, see you again some time.

 
At 2:03 AM, Anonymous dating for men said...

Hi There Brendon how you going? I was sufing blogs for information on yahoo dating and I came across yours. while The One About Civil Unions wasn't exactly what I was looking for, It was most interesting. I can see why I found your page when I was looking for yahoo dating stuff. Thanks for the read!

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Goodman441 said...

You Will Very Easily Earn An Extra $200, $500, Even $1000+ Every Week With Only 15 Minutes Of Your Time...

Click HERE

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Girly Girl said...

If you want over 18 adults only dating then Swinger Dating is the site for you. Totally free too :)

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

online dating korean

 

Post a Comment

<< Home